Corruption: is that the key...?

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Today, I had been to a college to submit my option form for MBA college. There were few more aspiring candidates who had come for the same purpose. Akshay (name changed) was one of them. He approached me to ask my score and preferences. And while talking, he said, "I am going for XYZ college". (Read as one of the very well known and in demand MBA institute in Mumbai). It seemed almost impossible with his score to get this institute. I raised the doubt. His answer was "I will get the management seat for Rs. 4 lakh". He seemed to belong to a financially sound family. So I wasn’t much shocked to know that he is trying to buy a seat.

After few minutes, there was another guy who initiated a dialogue with me. His score was even lower than the Akshay. And his home university is SRTMU Nanded. So its almost impossible for him to get a good institute in Mumbai or Pune. He was little down in the dumps when I asked him about his preferences. But he told me that he is going for ABC college (Read as a very well known institute from Pune which has also undergone a raid from Income Tax Dept last year). His words were "Anna (one of the directors of the institute) knows me very well. And I’ve talked with his son Bapu who looks after the institute. I may get the seat for around 2 lakhs." I was highly shocked to know that this person, who surely is not economically sound enough to shell out 2 lakh bucks at a stretch. Still he was trying to have a seat through management quota (which obviously doesn’t go free or at cheap rate).

One incident flashed in front of my eyes. One friend of mine had asked me "Dinesh, I can make arrangements for your admission in the institute you want. You have got a good score and if by chance you lose the institute by small difference, I can make sure you get into the institute. Do you want me to make the arrangement?" And I had replied him with a big NO. I still remember his quote: "There are thousands of students who take benefit of their caste to get into good college. They also get into any top institute in spite of the fact that they don’t deserve it. So what’s the problem if you use your financial position for the same purpose? Furthermore you are lot more worthy than they are."

Ya. He was right. What’s the problem if I use my financial position to overtake others? Many people take advantage of various reservations to push back the deserving candidates and go ahead of them. So it will be the same thing if I use the monetary position. No one will come to know that I have cheated. Cause I’m anyways close to getting into the institute without any malpractice. So no one will even bother about the fact. But will I be able to forgive myself if I use these ways?

This is sounding like some speech on moral values and all. I don’t have any intension to criticize the happenings in the world. Neither am I trying to compel some moral values on the readers or on anyone. I’m just asking a question to myself. Will I be able to forgive myself for doing something which doesn’t convince my soul? And the answer is NO.

So I’ve decided to stick to whatever I get through the modus operandi. Even if it’s a B Grade institute. I will stick to it and I will make my existence in the institute worth enough so that I won’t have to ever regret for my own verdict.

And I am happy with the outcome.

- Dinesh Finally completed this scribble at 7:55 PM  

2 people thought of commenting on this:

Its really nice to see such an attitude in todays world. I really appreciate your feelings but at the same time fear that you might at times lose good opportunities in life which you deserve more than others who grab them. Call this the price you have to pay to stay alive in our KALYUG...

I dont mean to say that I accept these facts and do nothing. I am for it any time but it will surely take a lifetime to improve such situations in practice. By then, most of our lives will be over.

Rushal said...
Monday, 09 July, 2007  

Thanks for the feedback Rushal..

Dinesh said...
Tuesday, 10 July, 2007  

Post a Comment